Figuring out what makeup essentials you need as a beginner is easy once you figure out that you don’t need everything (one tube of mascara at a time). There will always be new cosmetics, but if you are just starting out, buying the beauty basics will save you from collecting mass amounts of lipstick and eyeliner you will never use.
To make this easy for you, I have these basic makeup essentials that you should have with product suggestions that are perfect for beginners. These cosmetics are must haves that I know and love based off of my 15 years as a makeup artist and I think you will love them just as well. Putting together your personal makeup bag doesn’t have to be overwhelming; just use this checklist as a guide and you will have everything you need to get started.
Basic Makeup Essentials Checklist
- Foundation – One basic makeup essential everyone thinks of first is foundation because it evens out your skintone and gives you a flawless complexion. However, if you don’t like foundation, opt for or a tinted moisturizer instead and watch this tutorial on how to apply foundation here.
- Concealer – Concealer is important to have in order to awaken the under eyes and delete any blemishes from the skin. We all have a pimple we want to go away every now and again.
- Blush/Bronzer Duo – Blush and bronzer are an important makeup basic because both add life and color to your skin. Using a compact that has both a blush and a bronzer is helpful you keep your makeup kit minimal and easy for every day use.
- Highlighter – For soft, illuminated, and glowing skin, a highlighter will do the trick. It’s one of the best beauty tips for any makeup beginner.
- Eyeliner – Having an eyeliner is important for those moments when you want to bump up your makeup from daytime to night! I would suggest getting one in black and in a retractable pencil form.
- Mascara – Mascara is definitely an essential in my book. If you are going to do it, though, get black.
- Brow pencil – Brows are an essential to making any makeup, whether minimal or dramatic, look its best. Please do not skip this basic beauty essential for everyday use. It’s important.
- Lipsticks & Gloss – Lipstick or gloss is an important basic makeup essential. I would suggest having a few lipstick and gloss options to choose from based on your comfort. With that said, do me a favor and include at least one lipstick shade that is different from what you usually wear..red is a start.
- Makeup Brush Set – Makeup brushes are an investment, but they are an essential no matter how basic your makeup is going to be. One of the best ways to get your basic makeup brushes at a good price is to buy them in a set. Here is a complete list of makeup brush essentials you need and how to use them.